Congratulations – you just got a job interview for a position you applied for! But during your interview, in addition to being evaluated on your skills and interview prowess, you will also be evaluated on your personal presentation. Avoid making mistakes and follow these tips for a successful interview:
1. Check the fit. You want to project confidence, and the easiest way to do that is to wear clothes that fit you. You don’t want to be pulling at hems or sleeves, trying to adjust them while your interviewer is asking you tough questions.
2. Keep it conservative. This isn’t the time to show off your sense of style. Stick with classic pieces and neutral colors. Black, brown, navy, and beige are all great options. Also make sure that you don’t over accessorize. You can wear a wedding ring, a watch, and simple pair of earrings, but more will be distracting.
3. Be clean. Your clothes should be newly pressed, and your shoes should be recently shined. It’s best to leave this to the professionals and have your interview outfit dry cleaned. Just make sure to drop it off well before your interview so that you have time to pick it up.
4. Don’t forget hygiene. Clothes aren’t the only thing you need to pay attention to. You should also check to make sure your hair is combed or brushed, and if it’s long, pulled out of your face. Your fingernails should be well groomed, and you should give careful consideration to how you smell. Make sure you don’t have any body odor, and go light on perfume or cologne to avoid going to the other extreme.
5. Dress for your industry. The job you’re interviewing for may have somewhat different dress requirements, depending on what kind of company it is. For example, you would have to dress much more conservatively for an interview at a bank than for one at a tech startup. Keep in mind, however, that it’s better to be a bit too formal than a bit too causal.
6. Make a final check. Immediately before your interview begins, check yourself in the mirror to make sure that you haven’t missed a button or that you don’t have anything in your teeth. Fix any stray hairs, brush off any lint that may be on your sleeve, then take a deep breath and get ready to ace your interview!
Need more tips about the interview process? Contact a specialist at Burnett’s Staffing today so we can help you pursue your chosen profession!