If you’re in the middle of a job hunt, you’re probably focusing on full-time positions and filtering out temporary jobs from your search results. That might be a mistake. If you’re truly looking to get back to work, temporary employment is a viable option. Here are some of the benefits of accepting an offer of a temporary position:
- A paycheck. While money is rarely enough to serve as someone’s sole motivation, a steady income, even if it’s temporary, gives you financial stability while you continue to look for a full-time job.
- Structure. Looking for work is supposed to be a job in and of itself, but how true is that for most of us? Between the Internet and the television, there are many distractions at home. Reporting to a regular job can give you structure, which can help you organize your free time—and your job search—more efficiently.
- Confidence. A job search is full of rejection. You have to collect a lot of nos before you find your new position. Accepting a temporary job can help you build back some of your confidence through achievement.
- A continuous resume. Gaps in time between positions can raise a red flag when someone is going over your resume. The longer the gaps in your employment history, the more your ability to re-enter the workforce is called into question. A temporary position can stop the gap from growing.
- Sharpened skills. You need to keep practicing your skills in order to keep them, and for many jobs, the only way to do that is to practice your skills in the work place. A temporary position gives you the opportunity to keep your skills fresh.
- A full-time job. (Maybe!) This isn’t a guarantee, of course, but sometimes temporary work can lead to full-time work, whether you end up being hired directly by the company or you meet someone in your new network that knows of a position that’s a perfect fit for you.
For help with finding a temporary position in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, contact a specialist at Burnett’s Staffing. We take the time to personally meet with every candidate to discuss their career needs, and we’d love to work with you!