Does your workplace have a mentorship program in place? Whether formal or informal, taking the time to create mentoring relationships within your office is a great way to improve your company without spending a lot of money or time. Building mentoring relationships is a great way to enrich your employees. Here are some of the reasons why:
Why it’s good for them:
- If you have an employee who shows great potential but seems to be having a hard time taking his or her career to the next level, a mentorship can be just the thing that they need to succeed.
- It can be difficult to know whether you’re making the right career decisions. Having someone to look to for guidance and feedback can improve an employee’s confidence, and an employee with confidence does better work and makes bolder choices than one without it.
- A new job is always a journey of learning, and an employee with a mentor can learn faster than one teaching himself. Not only can a mentor direct a mentee to areas of study, but he can also reveal blind spots of knowledge that can be difficult, if not impossible, to self-assess.
Why it’s good for you:
- Investing in someone’s career means something. It’s difficult to get a foot in the door at most companies these days, so when an employer nurtures an employee’s success it can create a strong sense of loyalty. This can lead to lower turnover as well as more dedicated workers.
- It’s true that teachers often learn just as much from their students. If you mentor someone below you in your company’s organizational hierarchy, you may get in touch with the people you manage in an entirely different way. You may find ways to improve yourself while helping someone improve their own skills.
- Making your employees better makes your company better. Mentoring can encourage employees to be more creative, work on their own, and develop leadership skills. Fostering all of these traits in one or more employee can only do great things for your company.
Looking for more ways to be a better manager? Come sit down with one of our staffing experts at Burnett’s Staffing so we can discuss your goals for your company. We have expertise in several different industries and we have a pool of qualified candidates in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex. Get in touch today!