Your first day at your new job can (and should!) feel like a celebration. But it’s also important for your future career goals to stay organized and on top of things in your new workplace from the very beginning. Here are some tips to make the most of your first day:
- Introduce yourself to everyone you can. Start building your network by meeting everyone in the office and trying to get a sense of what their duties are. Explain what your new position is as well so they know where to find you if they need you.
- Ask questions. Make sure you’re completely clear about your duties and all the details of how the office works. You want to start off on the right foot and avoid the embarrassment of being corrected a week or a month in the future.
- Find an ally. A mentor can help you out a great deal in the workplace. Keep your eyes open for anyone who may be able to take you under their wing, even if they’re a co-worker and not someone in a higher position.
- Learn what’s expected of you. Find out how you’ll be evaluated as soon as possible so that you’ll know how to excel. If you’ll be evaluated with hard data, you want to make sure to strive for your goals as soon as possible, since numbers are less forgiving than more subjective methods.
- Organize your space. Stock your desk with pens, highlighters, necessary phone numbers, even if they’re just interoffice extensions, and, most importantly, a calendar to keep up with your schedule and upcoming meetings.
- Update your resume. Even if you don’t expect to be searching for another job for a long time, update your resume and your social media websites now. Staying on top of your personal work narrative will be helpful as you advance in your career.
Is a first day at a new job something that you’re still hoping for? Call Burnett’s Staffing and work with one of our specialists. We can help find you a great job opportunity in the greater Dallas area – contact us today!